Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about the beginning. I just
past the one year in country mark. In reality it has only been 365 days (give
or take) but the emotional, spiritual, and personal growth far surpass anything
I ever thought possible in a year (and some days a lifetime).
This past year has been full of:
Frustrations, scares, heartbreak, excitement, wonder, fulfillment,
rewards, disappointment, upsets, tear-jerking moments and events, pain, sadness,
depressing, learning, a once in a lifetime experiences, thrills….just to name a
few
This time last year I was learning how to bathe out of a
bucket, wash my clothes by hand. How to deal with being constantly started at,
and talked about and picked on. How to be alone and how to make new friends
(both within Peace Corps and with Ghanaian). How to shop in a market and
haggle over the cost of a tomato. How to wear the same thing for days on end
and pack for a week away using only my purse. And it was only the beginning…
I have experienced some of the greatest highs and lows of my
life. The highs are so sweet they seem unreal; the stuff only dreams are made of.
Knowing that you were the reason 2 children didn’t permanently lose their
hearing or giving a child the opportunity to go to school for the first time.
But the lows….they are as close to a hell on earth as I have ever gotten. Whether
its watching your personal life fall apart and being powerless to stop it or
seeing a community disregard a drowned little boy. Sometimes I wake up in the
morning scared to leave my house because I don’t know what kind of day it will
turn into.
So much as changed.
I have learned to become self-sufficient in the strongest
sense of the word. I live alone, in a remote village, in Ghana. I don’t speak
the language, I am the only white person and I make $150 a month. I have found
strength, confidence, determination and stubbornness within myself that I didn’t
know I had and that makes me proud.
I have mentioned this before, but this is the first time in
my life where I have had the time discover the things about myself that are
both positive and negative. Sometimes having so much time is a good thing and
sometimes not so much…
Don’t regret my decision to come here for a second. I am
proud of myself and it’s because I did this on my own. I have changed more than
I can ever begin to try and put into words. Not to mention the changed that I don’t
even recognize as existing yet.
I’ve had opportunities that I never thought I would get. See
things I thought I could only dream about. Done the most meaningful work of my
life.
I guess I am trying to say thank you to everybody. The fact
that you are reading this means that you are supporting me. Your letters, care
packages, answering those phone calls from me just wanting to hear a familiar
voice (with little or nothing to actually say) and quick little words of
encouragement are the things that I think about on my worst days. They remind
me that even on my hardest days I am here for so many reasons. Some I can articulate...some I can't. Giving up, leaving,
quitting…is not an option. I will not give up. So thank you for everyone who has given me the strength to be able to say that... and mean it.
"The ones who love you will never leave you because even if
there are a hundred reasons to give up, the will find one reason to hold on."-annon
Philippians 4:13; I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
ReplyDeleteHebrews 13:5-6 "Let your conduct be without covetousness, and be content with such things that you have, for he has said, 'I will never leave you, nor forsake ...