18 August 2012

fish heads, humus and a bad movie


Hey!

So I know I didn’t post a blog all that long ago but I have two very important (well, no so much important to the rest of the world or overall considered important things or events but they are big to me and since this is my blog…I win) things to share with everybody.

First, last week when my friend Tess came to visit we exchanged some movies and one of the movies I got from her was August Rush. I decided to watch it today and let me tell you how much of a letdown it was. This is the main reason that prompted a new blog entry. I felt the need to rant and rave about this and couldn’t decide who to call to bitch about it to. The power went out in the middle of the movie (what I though was the “good part”…I later find out that doesn’t exist in this movie) making me wait for it to come back on to finish it…which you may not realize took a lot of dedication not to get distracted and come back and finish the movie. Now I know it’s not really considered “dedication” to finish a movie you start but if you had to use my computer to do so, you’d understand. Anyway, the movie ends and I literally feel cheated out of my cumulative 4 hours it took me to get from beginning to end of that waste of time. Maybe I’m not “deep” or “sensitive” or “emotional” (or any other squishy, not really definable word you can think of) enough to really get the “essence” of that movie...i guess we’ll never know. Now my warning to you is…steer clear and don’t say I never tried to warn you.

Secondly, I stepped on a giant fish head in the market today. Yes, that’s right. AND I was wearing sandals. Allow me set the scene for you. I decide that since its Saturday and, coincidently, I like Saturdays it’s time to celebrate by opening the can of humus I’ve had squirrel away for the past few months. That’s right folks, humus can come in a can…its not too bad if you can’t remember what refrigerated, seasoned humus is like…its tough to get past the ‘warm’ part. Anyway, I’m gonna do it. Then comes step 2. What do I put it on. I decide I want it on some bread…maybe I’ll make a sandwich or maybe toast…the possibilities are endless, but whatever happens I’m gonna need bread. Now, I have a general rule not to go into the market on the weekends because it morphs into hell on earth sometime between Friday night and Saturday morning and I figure its just better to stay out. But, like I said, its Saturday and I’m celebrating. So I put on my big girl smile and decide getting bread will be worth it. I start walking and aside from a small child incident in the beginning, my walk to market goes without incident. I faintly hear the sounds of really loud music and since it’s the weekend I assume theres a funeral somewhere so unless their carrying the body through town (yes, actually happens) I should be okay. I get all the way to the market, I see bread, I’m walking with purpose it and then it happens. I step on a fish head. Not a tiny fish that lives in the wetlands and eats plant roots or something. We’re talking about a big mother. Some kind of fish would be the gladiator of fish. I think this fish can only eat like dolphins or something, it was that big. I nearly hurl. Everyone starts laughing and I’m seeing red. I manage to keep it together, motivated by the sight of bread. Somehow I manage to communicate to my legs to continue walking to the bread stand and then to turn around and go back home but the entire time I kept replaying in my head what it felt like for my foot to step on a giant f-ing fish head. This will cause some meflouquine (anti-malaria drug, causes crazyyyy dreams) dreams for a longgg time.

And last on my list of things to complain about…. my errant (remaining) cat. He is so cute and so lost without the other 2 kittens around I feel bad for him. Since I feed him I have become “mom” to it in more then one way. Since I feel we have a special bond I talk to him. I brought him inside and made him a litter box and food area and everything. I showed him the litter box and he was using it for a few days. But apparently I didn’t communicate sufficiently enough that using it was not an option. He has started to believe that its use is optional or has somehow confused my SHOES with dirt in a box. We are not exactly on speaking terms right now. I plan to have a talk with him later tomorrow because Sonia is coming over for a few days and we don’t want her to see how badly we behave. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Well, that about sums up the past 24 hours in my life. Cat poo and fish heads. We can only hope that the next few days go better for me. As I said in my previous post I’ll be in Accra until maybe Saturday, Sunday or Monday (I stopped planning my life when I realized no one else does either…it’s a wonderful feeling and I love it…I just feel sorry for whoever has to train me back into the real world again…I won’t even go into the strange habits I’ve picked up living alone…and I know what you’re thinking…”that’s the perfect recipe for a cat lady”…and you’re right…I have no comeback for that).  I’ll be sure to keep you updated on all of my exciting happenings in Accra (I’m hoping to track down a burger!) and maybe some dancing!!!

Oh and any of you guys out there that like country music….check out Brantley Gilberts cd Halfway to Heaven (I don’t know how old or new it is in the U.S. someone posted a link on facebook a few days ago and decided to take a listen)…My Kind Of Crazy is my favorite!!!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!!

<3

PS i didnt re-read this after i wrote it so sorry if things dont make sense or whatever. the power went out and i dont want to waste battery life when i could be watching 'crazy, stupid love' for the 400th time. and yes, i have run out of books to read and good movies (see above)...hello Accras lending library! 

No comments:

Post a Comment