23 April 2013

that itchy feeling...


Hello Everybody!!!

It’s been awhile (I think)! I am currently back home after a wonderful week away from site!
This past weekend was Peace Corps annual all volunteer conference held in Eastern Region (right outside of Koforidua, where I went to the bead market a few weeks ago). The actual distance between my site and the conference is probably only about 200km but in terms of travel time…its about 11 hours!!! I left my house just before 6am on the travel day and didn’t get to the Bunso Coco College (conference location) until just before 5pm!!! Long day!!

The actual conference was amazing!!!! It was so wonderful to get to see everybody again! This event is really the only time I get to see most people that don’t live in my region. We had a talent show, a date auction and even a prom!!!! I even bid on a date to Mole National Park (to go on a safari!!!!) with a few other friends! This years prom theme was “wild thing” (for those of you that were on the edge of your seats). We even got a sort of half preview to COS (close of service) conference.

After the conference was over I decided I could not handle another 11 hour travel day so instead of going straight home I went through Accra. I also had to pick up a bunch of donated stuff for our World Malaria Day surf event. I was lucky enough to be able to stay at my ex-pats house so I was treated to constant air conditioning, hot water from the ceiling and a WASHING MACHINE! I was amazing, however now that I’m back at site I can confirm that I definitely overdosed on air conditioning and have a gross head cold to show for it. I want to say I’ve learned my lesson, but I really haven’t. Not even close. Next time I get the chance to sleep the entire night in air conditioning and be under a BLANKET I’m going to do the same thing!

I’m about 2 weeks away from going to my COS (close of service) conference. How did that happen? Wormhole is my best guess. I know people always say “it’ll be over before you know it” and “time fly’s when you’re having fun” and all that but …ITS REALLY TRUE!

Ive changed more then I could ever describe. The other day I was doing some work on my resume/cover letter and got kind of stuck on how to describe my time here in one short paragraph so I tried starting list of phrases to choose from. I had a few but pretty much got stuck after “it is hot” because most of what I wanted to write was an emotion or just a feeling. I’m not the best at using words to describe feelings. I don’t think anybody wants to hear me describe anything as “that feeling that makes you kind of itchy and awake at the same time”. I need to be better at identifying feelings. I'll save my "this chapter has come to a close" style entry for another time...maybe after I learned some feelings. Hey, its possible. 

Now I'm looking forward on to whats next. School? Work? Hobo gypsy? The world is my oyster. I do have to say, I nearly had a stroke filling out the FAFSA (pin? taxes forms?....isnt it enough that i did my own taxes this year...that should count for something!!!!...and by something i think i really mean "oh you did your own taxes this year?...you totally deserve money for school) so if i do somehow end up at school...its could get ugly.

13 weeks left!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!! im not ready!!!!!!!!!! but a margarita next to the pool in the backyard sounds like heaven!!! 

Much love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment