the packing list so far...please let me know if anything should be added or subtracted.
Packing
1 Hiking backpack
1 Rolling duffle bag (small-ish)
1 Daypack (standard size backpack...packed enpty)
1 Carry on/shoulder bag
Packing
1 Hiking backpack
1 Rolling duffle bag (small-ish)
1 Daypack (standard size backpack...packed enpty)
1 Carry on/shoulder bag
Clothing
25+ pairs underwear
2 Skirts
1 Pair shorts (for home)
2 Pair jeans
10 T-shirts (I’m not sure how many I should bring since Im not sure if I’ll be wearing them often…help?)
3 Blouses
1 Zipper Sweatshirt
1 Dress
2 Sports bras
8 Bras
1 Exercise outfit
1 Swimsuit
2 Sunhats
1 Baseball hat
15 Pairs socks
1 Belt
2 pair wool socks
25+ pairs underwear
2 Skirts
1 Pair shorts (for home)
2 Pair jeans
10 T-shirts (I’m not sure how many I should bring since Im not sure if I’ll be wearing them often…help?)
3 Blouses
1 Zipper Sweatshirt
1 Dress
2 Sports bras
8 Bras
1 Exercise outfit
1 Swimsuit
2 Sunhats
1 Baseball hat
15 Pairs socks
1 Belt
2 pair wool socks
Shoes
1 pair of Chacos sandals
1 pair plastic flip flops (shower)
1 dressy sandal
1 pair flats
1 pair hiking boots
1 pair sneakers
Office
3 Packs index cards
Scissors
4 Folders
2 Notebooks/Journals
15 Envelopes (letter size and manila)
2 Flash drives
Laptop with waterproof case
Kindle (maybe? I don’t have one but am thinking it might be a good idea to get one)
Pens/pencils
1 iPod with extra headphones
4 Extra Passport pictures
1 External hard drive
Bathroom
Leave in conditioner (may get voted out or mailed by mom later but I’ve heard it’s worth it)
2 Rolls of toilet paper (take out the middle cardboard and squish)
1 Tube toothpaste
2 Toothbrushes
2 Deodorant
1 Camp towel
1 Nail clipper/ tweezers
5 Disposable razors
80 Tampons
2 Bottles shampoo/conditioner
1 Sturdy hairbrush
Equipment
1 Sleeping bag with liner
Travel alarm clock
2 Luggage locks
1 Small tent
2 Nalgene
1 Knife
1 Multi-tool
1 Headlamp
1 Regular flashlight
1 Bike helmet (not sure if its needed or not)
1 nylon hammock (I cant resist)
Kitchen
Drink mixes
Powder sauce packets
Seasoning (italian, taco)
Misc
2 Bandannas (not sure what to use them for but from what I’ve read it’s a good idea to have a few)
Hand sanitizer
2 rolls duct tape (if they’ll fit)
Map of Ghana (I’ve heard maps are difficult to find)
AA/AAA batteries
Photo album
Ziplock bags
Playing cards and card games
1 Small sewing kit
2 Pairs extra glasses
Glasses screwdriver
1 glasses strap
1 Pillow Case
Host family gifts
1 Pair sunglasses
2 Books
1 Sleeping bag with liner
Travel alarm clock
2 Luggage locks
1 Small tent
2 Nalgene
1 Knife
1 Multi-tool
1 Headlamp
1 Regular flashlight
1 Bike helmet (not sure if its needed or not)
1 nylon hammock (I cant resist)
Kitchen
Drink mixes
Powder sauce packets
Seasoning (italian, taco)
Misc
2 Bandannas (not sure what to use them for but from what I’ve read it’s a good idea to have a few)
Hand sanitizer
2 rolls duct tape (if they’ll fit)
Map of Ghana (I’ve heard maps are difficult to find)
AA/AAA batteries
Photo album
Ziplock bags
Playing cards and card games
1 Small sewing kit
2 Pairs extra glasses
Glasses screwdriver
1 glasses strap
1 Pillow Case
Host family gifts
1 Pair sunglasses
2 Books
Hey there and congratulations! You are going to have a great time here. Your packing list is pretty thorough but if you are tight for space/weight I would suggest bringing a fewer pairs of socks. Most volunteers go open toes because it's just so darn hot and socks are extremely easy to get. So are pens, envelopes, folders, and notebooks. You didn't mention sunblock, which is one thing I can recommend; Peace Corps does not give out high quality sunblock and a brand that you like would be nice to bring. Anyhoo, unless you are particular about brands, you can pretty much get most of the things you need in Ghana. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteOh, and on the helmet. You are required to wear a helmet during biking but it is not required to bring one. Many many volunteers have their helmets collecting dust at site and are most willing to sell them.
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI have a kindle and they are sort of expensive (189$) for the one I have-- but it might be worth it for you because not only can you read on it, but it comes with its own wifi (literally, has its own satellite internet connection) but you can also browse online with it. And no digital camera to record your experiences?
Also, reading this list is making me sad because Ed and I are going to miss you so much, and we can't wait to see you and travis next weekend!
<3
-Liz
Hi there,
ReplyDeletenice list! i remember how excited and panicked i was when i was packing. As Kaming said, most stuff you get here in Ghana really cheap. No need to bring notebooks, paper, toilet paper, pens and stuff unless they are something special. Yeah and might want to nix the bike helmet, I ride my bike a lot helmet-free, not the best i know, but there are plenty of PCV's here who dont use theirs or would be willing to sell/give you theirs.
Just think of the essentials that you will need and go from there. When you first get to country you may think you need a lot of stuff because its 2 years! but a couple of months in you may see an entire duffle bag of un-used stuff and think "oh yeah, i forgot i packed these..." good luck!