Hey!
Sorry its been so long! One thing leads to another and
before I know it a bunch of time has passed and I have no idea how it happened.
This week I am going to start
piloting the curriculum in four schools! I had a meeting with the regional
education director (he’s in charge of all the schools in Western Region) and he
assigned two of his deputies to help me in getting all of this of the ground.
We’ll go out to the communities this Friday and Saturday to meet with the
science teachers and headmasters of the schools and introduce them to the
curriculum. Very exciting stuff! After I meet with the schools I’ll hold a
training workshop to teach the teachers how to utilize the curriculum and to
get their feedback about the content. Then it gets taught…by real teachers…to
actual students!! I even have a budget! Man, life is good!
This week I was in Accra for a
fellow volunteers 30th birthday celebration!!! We went ate some good
food (and ice cream!), bought fabric, did a little spot (bar) hopping, and went
dancing! I stayed with a friend in Accra and got a chance to take a hot shower,
do my laundry in a machinen (second time thats happened in a year and a half), and sleep in air conditioning! I even went to the
Peace Corps office and got mail (thanks Mom and Estelle for the goodies) and a
few wonderful letters (as well as the mail for the 3 other volunteers who live
near me)! Getting letters has to be one of my favorite things on the planet!
All in all a really rad weekend!
A few days ago I was on a tro and
I saw something that I didn’t even know what possible. Let me set the scene…
There are no baby strollers here, when a mother needs to move around with her baby she ties it to her back using 2 yards of fabric. When she needs to travel she gets onto a tro with it still tied to her back, she just sits forward in the seat so that its not squished. Sometimes on longer rides it gets untied and sits in the mothers lap, but usually jusst when its hungry and wants to be fed. That’s right American moms, breastfeeding in a moving vehicle, squished next to 20 other people (and probably some goats). I’ve never personally breastfed so I’m no expert on the logistics but rumor has it…that that’s talent. Anyway…the extraordinary thing…I saw a mother breastfeeding with the baby still tied to her back….NOT from a bottle, from the…source. As the baby is still tied to the mothers back, she scoots it up her back so that its head is at her shoulder and the boob gets swung up to meet the baby. Not a huge deal here but makes sitting next to this situation…exciting/in the line of fire.
There are no baby strollers here, when a mother needs to move around with her baby she ties it to her back using 2 yards of fabric. When she needs to travel she gets onto a tro with it still tied to her back, she just sits forward in the seat so that its not squished. Sometimes on longer rides it gets untied and sits in the mothers lap, but usually jusst when its hungry and wants to be fed. That’s right American moms, breastfeeding in a moving vehicle, squished next to 20 other people (and probably some goats). I’ve never personally breastfed so I’m no expert on the logistics but rumor has it…that that’s talent. Anyway…the extraordinary thing…I saw a mother breastfeeding with the baby still tied to her back….NOT from a bottle, from the…source. As the baby is still tied to the mothers back, she scoots it up her back so that its head is at her shoulder and the boob gets swung up to meet the baby. Not a huge deal here but makes sitting next to this situation…exciting/in the line of fire.
I hope everyone is enjoying the changing leaves, pumpkin flavored everything, and scarves...I'll be joining you shortly!!!
<3
No comments:
Post a Comment